MGM and Black List launch 2-year scriptwriting partnership for feature films – Deadline
Continuing its efforts to support the stories of historically under-represented communities, The Black List is teaming up with MGM to launch a two-year feature film scriptwriting partnership to uncover new voices. The initiative is committed to identifying new writers who wish to tell original stories with universal appeal to the big screen. Blacklist founder Franklin Leonard revealed the news on CNBC on Thursday.
Every six months for the next two years, The Black List will provide MGM with a shortlist of new feature writing candidates for review. MGM will then seek to select a writer from each six-month cycle to receive a minimum two-stage Guild blind script contract and the opportunity to work with the iconic studio. The first partnership membership period begins today and will end on February 23, 2021.
MGM chefs Pamela Abdy and Michael De Luca preach the benefits of originality: “Not everything has to be a franchise” – Zurich Summit
“Franklin Leonard has dedicated his career to advancing storytelling and advocating for underrepresented voices throughout The Black List and we are grateful for the tremendous work he has done and continues to do on behalf of writers,” said said Michael DeLuca, president of the MGM Motion Picture Group. and President Pamela Abdy in a joint statement. “This partnership allows us to uphold a key principle at the studio by supporting and nurturing new voices whose stories are worth telling.”
Leonard added, “It’s one thing to say that you are supporting and raising new voices whose stories are worth telling. It’s another to match these statements with a substantive commitment to look beyond traditional ways of finding talent to find those voices. We’re honored to partner with Mike and Pam – whose taste speaks for itself at this point – to help them do just that. The best part: we go, and selfishly, I’m just excited to someday watch the films of these outstanding writers.
Read the partnership terms below.
- Entrant must host a feature film script on blcklst.com for at least one week during the submission period – December 3, 2020 to February 23, 2021.
- The participant must be the sole and exclusive author of the scenario submitted for review.
- Cinema and TV revenue from January 1, 2021 cannot exceed $ 500,000 (USD)
- The script must be completely original to you and not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or non-fiction material, published or unpublished, produced or not produced
- You must be the sole owner of all rights in and to the script and have the exclusive right and authority to sell, transfer, grant, assign and transmit such rights. The script must not in any way infringe the copyright of any person or entity or, to the best of your knowledge in the exercise of reasonable caution, constitute defamation, invasion of privacy or any other right of ‘a third.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the United States and be at least 21 years of age and not be a minor in your state of residence at the time of submission.
- Writers must agree to the submission agreement and submission requirements for a given opportunity. These documents will be available on blcklst.com
- The writers retain all rights to scripts under consideration for the opportunity, although our partners are free to negotiate these rights separately if they wish. The blacklist does not retain any rights in the work of writers, except the right to share scripts that a writer makes available with their professional industry members.
- Upon request, the participant must submit the following, which are also governed by the terms of submission and the agreement:
- A one-page biography / personal statement
- Contact and other personal information
- Signed originals of the Submission Agreement